Pages

2.19.2011






I think one of my favorite blessings is memory.  I think it's the coolest thing that we can look back and remember things from the past and feel those feelings all over again.  You can look back to when you rode your bike for the first time on your own.  You can feel your feet leaving the ground.  You can feel accomplished.  I think it's so cool that you can look back and feel happy all over again.
These are the moments that make me happy.
The sun was out and there was a slight breeze.  The sidewalks covered in chalk, and basketballs thrown across the lawn.  The grass needed to be cut and you could almost taste summer in the air.  Everyone was out as families taking a walk around the block.  I sat alone on the porch.  Pen and notebook in hand, Basketball shorts, and bare feet.  I could hear the birds chirping and little kids laughing.  I could feel the warmth of the sidewalk under my feet.  And as the sun began to set, for one slight perfect moment, everything felt beautiful.

I've heard stories about it since i was a little girl.  My whole family has been married there and something inside me knew that's where I'd be married too.  It was always just another stop in my plan.  Until, i saw it.  As we drove up the hill i saw the huge granite brick that my great great grandpa helped lay.  I saw the stained glass windows and the gorgeous flowers leading up to the doors.  The only thing i couldn't see was the tip top.  And it was that moment that i realized my whole family had been married, for time and all eternity, in a castle.  And something inside me told me one day i'd be married in a castle too.  And for one, slight breathless moment, everything felt hopeful. 

We drove to Macey's and bought drinks for a quarter.  We sat in my basement until one thirty telling stories.  We talked and talked and talked. And that was the moment i realized he was my best friend, and for one slight unexpected moment, everything felt sincerly simple.

Worst day ever.  Every little thing was going wrong.  And to make the worst day ever, worse, we were painting our basement.  I felt terrible.  I felt like my best friend was lost forever.  I felt like I was dwelling and pouting over something that would never change. Then one moment later, i was standing on a chair hanging up a picture.  Then sudden peace.  It was the definition of "lovely".  I just felt so strongly Christ's love for me.  And for one slight magnificent moment, everything felt like it was already taken care of. 

I'm running down the court.  Ali calls, "Shark attack."  I get the ball, pass the ball, I am the shark :).  I L-cut to the base line.  Pass to me.  Shoot.  Whistle.  Foul.  The ball is bouncing on the rim.  It's almost in.  AAHHHH... YES! Then, I proceed to make my free throw.  Yeah.  That was my first three point play, ever.  And for one slight jimmer moment, everything felt possible. 

  “God gave us memory
so that we might have roses in December.”
                 -Peter Pan

It's something to think about.  God probably gave us memory so we can learn lessons and remember, but maybe he also gave us memories so that we could remember that even in the darkest of times, something good is bound to happen.  And for one slight, perfect moment, we can feel true happiness. 
Remember?
-Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment